Trekking and hiking are wonderful ways to explore the great outdoors, challenge yourself physically, and discover new and beautiful places. Whether you’re planning a day hike or a multi-day trek, it’s essential to be well-prepared to ensure a safe and successful trip. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at the essential gear and planning you need to do to make your trekking trip a success.
Which Backpack is Best?
First and foremost, it’s essential to have the right rucksack or backpack to carry all of your gear. When choosing a backpack, consider the length of your trip, the type of terrain you’ll be covering, and the weather conditions you’ll be facing. For day hikes, a small to medium-sized backpack should suffice, while for multi-day treks, you’ll need a larger backpack that can hold all of your gear, food, and water. Be sure to choose a backpack that is comfortable to wear, has a good fit, and is made of durable material. At Outdoorhire we offer a range of high-quality, affordable rucksacks and backpacks for any type of outdoor adventure:
These packs are perfect for comfortable, extended day hikes, multi-day mountain excursions, or Via Ferrata and provide ample space for your daily essentials. The Air Comfort FlexLite System, featuring a flexible twin-frame construction, three-sided air circulation, and lightweight design, ensures maximum comfort on the slopes of Kilimanjaro or the approaches to Everest Base Camp.
The Mission 50-55L Climbing Backpack is the perfect choice for ice climbing. It’s durable, spacious and designed to support and stabilise heavy loads. The backpack features the patent-pending reACTIV XP™ suspension system, as well as Ice tool PickPockets™, a welded crampon pocket and a tuck-away rope strap to store your gear during the approach.
This backpack is part of the Duke of Edinburgh Recommended Kit list and is perfect for multi-day hiking trips and DofE expeditions where you need to carry a lot of gear. The Vango Sherpa backpack is a versatile and functional piece of gear. It has a large capacity of 65 litres and comes with features that make it comfortable to wear. Airmesh is used on body contact points, it has a shaped ergonomic hip belt and a sternum strap with an emergency whistle.
Be Ruscksack Ready
Embark on your next adventure fully equipped and ready to go! Our collection of rucksacks has got you covered, no matter the destination. From day trips to multi-day expeditions, we have the perfect rucksack to suit your needs.
Clothing to Keep you Warm and Dry
Dressing in layers is an important strategy for staying warm and dry when trekking or hiking, as it allows you to adjust your clothing to match the changing conditions of the environment. The key is to use a combination of lightweight, breathable fabrics that can be easily added or removed as needed.
The first layer, or “base layer,” is worn next to the skin and is responsible for wicking away sweat and moisture from the body. Synthetic fabrics like polyester or merino wool work well for this purpose, as they are quick-drying and don’t retain odours.
We offer a wide range of base layers for both men and women. Our base layers come in a variety of sizes to ensure that everyone can find the perfect fit. These base layers are designed to keep you warm and comfortable in cold weather conditions. They are made with high-quality materials that wick away moisture and provide insulation, so you can enjoy your outdoor adventure without worrying about being cold.
The next layer, the “insulation layer,” is designed to trap warm air next to the body. This is where down jackets are particularly important. Down is a natural insulator that is lightweight, compressible and efficient at trapping heat. At Outdoorhire, we offer a large selection of jackets to suit any type of adventure. Our collection includes cold weather down jackets, mid-layer jackets, and fleece jackets.
- Our cold weather down jackets are designed for extremely cold temperatures. They are made with high-quality down insulation that provides excellent warmth-to-weight ratio and compresses easily for easy packing. The outer fabric is also designed to be durable and water-resistant to protect you from the elements.
- Our mid-layer jackets are perfect for mild to cold temperatures. They are designed to provide warmth without adding bulk and can be worn as a standalone jacket or as a layering piece under a shell. They are made with synthetic insulation that dries quickly and maintains its insulation properties when wet.
- Our fleece jackets are perfect for mild temperatures and provide a cosy and comfortable feel. They are made with soft and warm fleece material that provides insulation and helps keep the wearer dry by moving perspiration away from the skin. They can be worn as a standalone jacket or as a layering piece under a shell.
The final layer, the “shell layer,” is designed to protect against wind and rain. A waterproof and windproof jacket is essential to keep you dry and protect you from the elements. A jacket with a hood, adjustable cuffs and hem, and a full front zipper will provide the best protection.
We recommend our lightweight shell jacket that is specifically designed to keep you dry during your hiking and outdoor adventures. The jacket is constructed with the highest quality breathable fabrics, such as eVent and Goretex, which are known for their ability to keep you comfortable by allowing sweat and moisture to escape while also protecting you from external elements like rain and wind. Additionally, our jackets are equipped with waterproof zips and well-designed hoods that provide an extra layer of protection against the elements, making it a perfect choice for all your outdoor needs.
In summary, layering your clothing is essential to staying warm and dry when trekking or hiking. Start with a base layer that wicks away moisture, add an insulation layer, like a down jacket, and finish with a waterproof and windproof shell layer to protect from the elements.
Stay Warm and Dry
Don’t let the cold weather stop you from enjoying the great outdoors! Stay warm and protected with our premium collection of cold weatheer, shell and base layer jackets.
Choosing the Right Sleeping Gear for Your Adventure
Having the right sleeping gear is essential for a comfortable and safe outdoor experience. When it comes to sleeping gear, two of the most important items you’ll need to bring are a good quality sleeping bag and a sleeping mat.
A good quality sleeping bag will provide you with the warmth and protection you need to sleep comfortably in a variety of temperatures and conditions. Sleeping bags come in different shapes, sizes, and temperature ratings, so it’s important to choose one that is appropriate for the conditions you’ll be camping in. The best sleeping bags are made with high-quality insulation materials, such as down or synthetic fibres, that provide excellent warmth-to-weight ratio and compress easily for easy packing. We offer a range of sleeping bags to suit every kind of weather:
- Our 5 Season Down Sleeping Bags are specially designed for use in extreme cold weather conditions, and are rated to provide comfort even in temperatures as low as -25°C. These bags are ideal for activities such as Himalayan mountaineering, as well as being a valuable upgrade for those undertaking treks to Everest Base Camp, if you tend to feel cold easily. These sleeping bags are constructed with high-quality materials and insulation to keep you warm and comfortable in the harshest of conditions.
- Our 4 Season Plus Down Sleeping Bags are designed to keep you warm even in temperatures as low as -15°C and are constructed with the highest-quality materials and insulation. Our down sleeping bags are lightweight, compressible and provide excellent warmth-to-weight ratio, making them perfect for backpacking, camping, and any outdoor adventure. They pack down smaller than synthetic filled sleeping bags and are fantastically warm, making them a great option for those who value both performance and packability.
- Our 4 Season Sleeping Bags are designed to provide comfort and warmth in temperatures between -15°C and -18°C. They are constructed with the highest-quality materials and insulation, making them perfect for camping, backpacking, and outdoor adventures. Our 4-season sleeping bags are among the best in the UK, and are perfect for cold weather treks, such as climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Our 3 Season Sleeping Bags are all rated to between -5º C and -2º C and are suitable for camping in temperate conditions down to around 0º C. They are all mummy shape, synthetic insulated and have full length zips.They are perfect for camping in the summer or at low elevations.
- Our Summer Sleeping Bags are perfect for camping in the UK, where temperatures can be unpredictable. They are also a great economical option for those who don’t need a high-specification sleeping bag. We offer a variety of styles, including both mummy and square shaped sleeping bags. These summer sleeping bags are ideal for indoor camping, summer festivals, or any other situation where you don’t need a top-of-the-line sleeping bag. They are lightweight, comfortable, and provide enough warmth for mild weather conditions, making them an excellent option for anyone looking for a budget-friendly, reliable sleeping bag.
In addition to our range of sleeping bags, we also offer silk sleeping bag liners for added comfort. These liners are designed to be used inside your sleeping bag and provide an extra layer of insulation and a soft, smooth surface to sleep on. They are also easy to clean and maintain, making them an ideal addition to your camping gear.
Overall, our wide range of sleeping bags allows customers to choose the perfect bag to suit their camping needs, as well as enjoy a comfortable and warm night’s sleep, wherever you are.
Rest Easy With Outdoorhire
Ensure a peaceful night’s sleep on your next camping trip with our premium collection of sleeping bags and mats. Designed to provide ultimate comfort and warmth, our sleeping bags and mats are the perfect addition to any outdoor adventure.
A sleeping mat is another important piece of gear that will help you sleep comfortably. A sleeping mat provides insulation and cushioning from the ground, which helps to keep you warm and comfortable throughout the night. Sleeping mats come in different thicknesses, sizes, and materials, so it’s important to choose one that is appropriate for the conditions you’ll be camping in.
At Outdoorhire, we understand the importance of having a comfortable night’s sleep when camping or backpacking, which is why we offer a wide range of sleeping mats to meet the needs of any adventurer. Our collection includes 4 different types of sleeping mats, each with their unique features and benefits.
- The Exped Synmat 7 Pump is a high-quality air mat that is designed for camping in colder temperatures. It is made with synthetic insulation and has a built-in pump for easy inflation. This mat is also equipped with a microfiber cover that provides added warmth and comfort.
- The Thermarest Trekker Mattress is a lightweight, self-inflating mat that is perfect for backpacking. It is made with durable and comfortable foam and has a durable, abrasion-resistant surface. It is up to three times warmer and far more stable than any other uninsulated air mattress available and it’s no bigger than a one-litre water bottle.
- The Exped SIM Comfort Mattresses is designed for ultimate comfort and convenience and is much more lightweight and easy to handle than traditional blow-up mattresses. This mattress is ideal as an extra bed for party guests or for use in basecamp or camper vans. The SIM in the name stands for “Self Inflating Mat” which means that it has built-in aircores in the foam, allowing for easy and quick inflation.
- The Exped AirMat Basic Mattress is a lightweight, air mat that is perfect for camping in warmer temperatures. It is made with a durable and comfortable surface and has an easy to use valve for inflation and deflation.
All these mats are designed to provide the best comfort and warmth for different temperatures and weather conditions, and are made with high-quality materials to ensure they last for many camping trips to come.
Additional Equipment for Safety and Comfort
When planning for an expedition or adventure, having the right equipment is essential for safety and comfort. Here at Outdoorhire, we understand the importance of this, which is why we stock a wide range of essential trekking equipment in one place to make your life easier.
- One of the most important items on the list is a dry bag. Dry bags are designed to keep your gear dry in wet conditions, whether you’re rafting, kayaking, or just caught in a rainstorm. They come in a variety of sizes and are made with durable, waterproof materials.
- Hiking poles are another essential piece of equipment that can help you navigate uneven terrain and provide support on long hikes. They are lightweight and easy to pack, and can help you maintain balance and stability on the trail.
- An expedition compass is also a must-have item for any adventure. It is essential for navigation and will help you find your way in the wilderness. A good quality compass will provide accurate readings and be easy to read in any lighting conditions.
- A 3-litre hydration system is another essential piece of gear for any adventure. It will help you stay hydrated on the go and is easy to pack and carry. It’s also a convenient way to carry water without having to stop and refill a water bottle.
- A head torch is also a must-have item, especially if you’ll be doing activities that require you to be active after dark. A good quality head torch will provide bright and reliable light, and be comfortable to wear.
Overall, these items are essential for any outdoor adventure and will help you stay safe and comfortable in the wilderness. At Outdoorhire, we have all these equipment and more to make sure you have a successful and enjoyable adventure.
Be Prepared For Anything
While the items listed above are considered essentials for any outdoor expedition or adventure, it’s important to note that every trip is unique and may require different equipment. That’s why at Outdoorhire, we offer a wide range of other outdoor equipment to ensure that you have everything you need for your specific adventure.
Our selection includes items such as first aid kits, which are essential for treating injuries and illnesses while in the wilderness. We also offer a variety of gloves, hats, and boots to keep you warm and protected in different weather conditions.
For those who are planning to do some climbing, we offer a variety of climbing gear including climbing shoes, harnesses, and helmets. We also have ice axes and crampons for those who are planning to do some mountaineering.
We also carry GPS equipment, which are essential for navigation in remote areas. For winter or high-altitude excursions, we offer a variety of snow safety gear, such as avalanche transceivers, probes, and shovels.
In addition to these, we also have a wide range of other outdoor equipment such as, camping stoves, cookware, water filters, and more. Our vast selection of outdoor equipment is designed to meet the needs of different types of outdoor activities and adventures, making sure our customers have all the necessary gear to make their journey safe and enjoyable.
Gear Up for Your Next Adventure
Get ready to conquer any terrain with our premium collection of outdoor equipment. From head torches to hydration systems, we have everything you need to make your next adventure a success.
In conclusion, trekking and hiking are fantastic ways to explore the great outdoors, challenge yourself physically, and discover new and beautiful places. It’s essential to be well-prepared to ensure a safe and successful trip. By having the right gear and planning, you’ll be able to tackle any trek with confidence. Remember to choose a comfortable and durable backpack, dress in layers, bring a first aid kit, a good pair of hiking boots or trekking shoes, and navigation tools. Additionally, have an emergency plan in place and always be aware of the potential hazards and risks. With the right mindset and preparation, you’ll be able to enjoy your trek to the fullest and make lasting memories. Don’t forget to also take the time to appreciate the natural beauty around you, and to be mindful of your impact on the environment. Happy trekking!